How to prevent a home fire - for seniors
According to the Fire Prevention Canada the two leading causes of fire deaths and injuries among older adults are smoking materials and the misuse of portable space heaters.
Tips to remember:
- Smokers should have a designated area away from upholstered materials, such as the kitchen table.
- Never smoke in bed while reading – it is too easy to fall asleep and print materials are highly flammable.
- Sleep with the bedroom door closed in order to provide more time to escape if a fire occurs.
- Keep space heaters well-ventilated and at least three feet away from flammable materials. Unplug space heaters when not in use.
- Extension cords are for temporary use only and should not be used with a space heater or electric blanket.
- Never run electrical cords under a carpet or rug.